The Three Hans Period

Chungcheongbuk-do belonged to the Mahan territory which was a tribal federation with 54 clans.

The Three Kingdoms Period

Baekje occupied the middle parts of the Cheongju and Boeun territories; Silla occupied the southern parts of the Okcheon, Yeongdong and Boeun territories; Goguryo occupied the northeastern parts of the Jechon, Danyang, Chungju, Goesan and Jincheon territories. Baekje occupied all Chungcheongbuk-do territory after the 4th century.

The Goryo Dynasty

998

Called Jungwon-do Province with 13 Guns and 42 Hyeons when King Seongjong(14th year) separated the country into ten provinces.

1106

Called Chungcheong-do and integrated with Hanam-do(present-day, Chungcheongnam-do) in the 1st year of King Yejong.

1171

Most of the territory was merged into Yanggwang-do in the 1st year of King Myeongjong, when Chungju Mok(district) and Cheongju Mok were established.

1356

Renamed as Chungcheong-do in the 5th year of King Gongmin

The Joseon Dynasty

1395

The gun(county) and hyeon(district) of Yanggwangdo were transferred to Kyonggi-do in the 4th year of King Taejo, and other guns and hyeons spread over Chungju, Cheongju, Gongju and Hongju were integrated into Chungcheong-do with the Gwanchalsa(governor) in Chungju.

1413

Yohung(Yoju-gun), Ansong, Eumjuk, Yangsong(part of Ansong-gun), and Yangji(part of Yongin-gun) were transferred to Kyonggi-do in the 13th year of King Taejong, when Okcheon, Cheongsan, Hwanggan, Yeongdong and Boeun which had belonged to Kyeongsang-do were transferred to Chungcheong-do.

May 26, 1895

The entire nation was divided into 23 bu(province) as administrative districts in the 32nd year of King Gojong, when this province was part of Chungju-bu.

August 4, 1896

The nation was reorganized into a 13 do(province) system and at this time this province was firstly named Chungcheongbuk-do with the provincial office in Chungju.

June 5, 1908

The provincial office was moved to Cheongju(2-ga Nammunro, now Jungang Park) when the province had jurisdiction over 18 guns and 199 myeons.

March 1, 1914

Reorganized to 114 myeons and 10 guns according to the reorganization of administrative districts.

1929

Reduced to 10 guns and 101 myeons according to reorganization of some myeons.

April 1, 1931

Reorganized to 10 guns, 2 eups and 104 myeons as Cheongju and Chungju were promoted to eup according to the change of regional system.

June 1937

The provincial building was moved to its present location(Munwha-dong) from Nammunro.

November 1, 1940

Reorganized to 10 guns, 4 eups and 102 myeons as Yeongdong and Jechon were promoted to eup.

After the Independence of Korea

June 1, 1946

Reorganized to 102 myeons, 3 eups, 10 guns and 1 bu as Cheongju was promoted to bu.

January 1, 1947

Reorganized to 103 myeons, 3 eups, 10 guns and 1 bu as Songni-myeon was divided into Naesongni-myeon and Oesongni-myeon.

August 13, 1949

Reorganized to 101 myeons, 5 eups, 10 guns and 1 bu as Okcheon and Jeungpyeong were promoted to eup from myeon.

August 15, 1949

Reorganized to 101 myeons, 5 eups, 10 guns and 1 si(city) as Cheongju-bu was promoted to Cheongju-si.

July 8, 1956

Reorganized to 100 myeons, 5 eups, 10 guns and 2 sis as Chungju and Eumseong were promoted to a si and a eup respectively.

January 1, 1963

Reorganized to 2 sis, 10 guns, 5 eups, 99 myeons and 1 branch office as Saju-myeon of Cheongwon-gun belonged to Cheongju-si, Sangmo-myeon of Goesan-gun to Jungwon-gun, and Samsong-ri of Nongam-myeon in Kyongsangbuk-do to Cheongcheon-myeon of Goesan-gun.

July 1, 1973

Reorganized to 96 myeons, 8 eups, 10 guns and 2 sis as Boeun, Jincheon and Geumwang were promoted to eup.

May 1, 1979

Reorganized to 94 myeons, 10 eups, 10 guns, 2 sis and 3 branch offices as Goesan and Danyang were promoted to eup.

April 1, 1980

Reorganized to 94 myeons, 9 eups, 10 guns, 3 sis and 3 branch offices as Jecheon-eup was promoted to a si and Jecheon-gun renamed to Jewon-gun.

December 1, 1980

Reorganized to 93 myeons, 10 eups, 10 guns, 3 sis and 3 branch offices as Maepo-myeon was promoted to Maepo-eup.

February 15, 1983

Reorganized to 92 myeons, 10 eups, 10 guns, 3 sis and 6 branch offices as Gangseo-myeon of Cheongwon-gun belonged to Cheongju-si.

May 1, 1989

Reorganized to 92 myeons, 10 eups, 10 guns, 3 sis, 2 si-branch offices, 6 myeon-branch offices and 56 Dongs as East and West branch offices in Cheongju-si were established .

December 31, 1990

Reorganized to 92 myeons, 10 eups, 10 guns, 3 sis, 2 si-branch offices, 6 myeon-branch offices and 56 dongs according to the establishment of Jeungpyeong branch office.

January 1, 1991

Renamed Jewon-gun to Jecheon-gun.

January 1, 1992

Reorganized to 93 myeons, 10 eups, 10 guns, 3 sis and 2 si-branch offices, 5 myeon-branch offices, 1 do-branch office and 56 dongs as the old Danyang branch office was promoted to Danseong-myeon.

January 1, 1995

Jungwon-gun was integrated into Chungju-si and Jecheon-gun to Jecheon-si while Sangdang-gu and Heungdeok-gu were established in Cheongju-si. Thus, reorganized to 93 myeons, 10 eups, 8 guns, 3 sis, 5 myeon-branch offices, 1 do-branch office, 2 gus, 60 dongs and 3 substations.

March 2, 1995

Reorganized to 91 myeons, 12 eups, 8 guns, 3 sis, 5 myeon-branch offices, 1 do-branch office, 2 gus, 60 dongs and 3 substations as Judeok-myeon of Chungju-si and Bongyang-myeon of Jecheon-si were promoted to eup.

January 5, 1996

Reorganized to 91 myeons, 12 eups, 8 guns, 3 sis, 5 myeon-branch offices, 1 do-branch office, 2 gus, 61 dongs and 3 substations as the Sugok-dong of Heungdeok-gu was divided into two dongs.

February 1, 1998

Dongs of Young, Buk2, Buk3 and Su were integrated into Jungang-dong while Munhwa, Buk1, Nammunro2, Seoun, Nammunro1, Seomun, Namju and Seokgyo integrated to Seongan-dong. Thus, it was reorganized to 91 myeons, 12 eups, 8 guns, 3 sis, 5 myeon-branch offices, 1 do-branch office, 2 gus, 56 dongs and 3 substations.

September 23, 1998

Reorganized to 91 myeons, 12 eups, 8 guns, 3 sis, 5 myeon-branch offices, 1 do-branch office, 2 gus, 53 dongs and 3 substations as some branch offices of Danyang-gun were closed.

September 25, 1998

Reorganized to 3 sis, 8 guns, 2 gus, 1 do-branch office, 12 eups, 91 myeons, 52 dongs and 3 myeon-branch offices as in Jecheon-si Jungang-dong and Namchon-dong were integrated into Namchon-dong, Donghyon-dong and Duhak-dong into Donghyon-dong, Hwasan-dong 1 and 2 into Hwasan-dong, and Youngchon 1 and 2 into Youngchon-dong.

October 1, 1998

Reorganized to 3 sis, 8 guns, 2 gus, 1 do-branch office, 12 eups, 91 myeons, 49 dongs and 3 myeon- as branch offices in Chungju Seongnae-dong and Chungin-dong were integrated with Seongnae/Chungin-dong, Gyohyon 1-dong and Allim-dong into Gyohyon/Allim-dong, and Danwol-dong and Dalchon-dong into Dalchon-dong.

October 17, 1998

Reorganized to 3 sis, 8 guns, 2 gus, 1 do-branch office, 12 eups, 91 myeons and 49 dongs as in Goesan-gun, Deokpyong and Songmyon branch offices of the Cheongchon-myeon and Buheung branch office of Cheongan-myeon were closed.

January 1, 2000

Reorganized to 3 sis, 8 guns, 2 gus, 1 do-branch office, 13 eups, 90 myeons and 49 dongs as Bukil-myeon of Cheongwon-gun was promoted to Naesu-eup while Manseung-myeon of Jincheon was renamed as Gwanghewon-myeon.

August 30, 2003

Jeungpueong Office of Chungcheongbuk-do was elevated to the status of Jeungpyeong-gun(municipality). There have been 3 cities, 9 guns, 13 eups, 90 myeons and 50 dongs in Chungcheongbuk-do.

April 1, 2005

Sangmo-myeon of Chungju City was renamed Suanbo-myeon.